Examples of use and technology of laying rubber tiles
Not everyone knows about the existence of rubber tiles, but in Europe this material has long been deservedly popular. Rubber tiles are a product of recycling old tires, as a result, a large amount of used rubber is disposed of and a practical material is obtained, since natural rubber and high quality synthesized rubber are used for the manufacture of tires. Laying rubber tiles does not cause difficulties, and this material has a lot of advantages.
Why is this coverage better than others?
Tiles made of crumb rubber have a variety of textures, are available in a wide range of colors, and the practical properties of rubber tiles distinguish them favorably from paving stones.
Rubber tiles are not slippery at all, everyone knows how dangerous paving slabs can be on ice. This material will not crack from temperature extremes; it will remain absolutely intact during transportation and installation. Having ordered a rubber tile, you can not be afraid that it will break on the way.
Rubber tile looks very good, but one of its main advantages is its non-slip surface. This material significantly reduces the risk of injury and is especially relevant in playgrounds.
Abroad, such tiles are widely used at sports facilities because of the good adhesion of the surface to sports shoes - at sports fields, in gyms, treadmills are made from it, it is also an excellent material for playgrounds.
Swimming pool water areas are also often surrounded by rubber tiles - they absorb moisture well, and the risk of slipping on it is minimized.
If you have a swimming pool in your country house or in a private house, rubber tiles will be an excellent material for finishing the near-water zone - wet feet will not slip on it, and it absorbs moisture well
This material can be a good choice for garden paths. You can choose rubber tiles for garden paths of interesting shapes, bright colors. With good installation, the rain will not wash out such tiles, and weeds will not germinate through it either.
Rubber tiles are one of the most unpretentious, safe and practical coatings for almost any area. If you choose this material for garden paths, you will be convinced of this - no special care is required for them, the tiles are unlikely to have to be changed, they do not need painting. To remove dust and small debris from the path, it is enough to rinse it with a jet from a hose.
How to install rubber tiles correctly?
There are two main ways to install this type of tile: on the ground and on a solid base.
Option # 1 - laying on the ground
This method is more relevant for the garden. For laying on the ground, tiles of greater thickness are used; material with a thickness of 30, 40, 50, 80 mm is suitable. In this case, the tiles are laid on the base, which must be prepared in advance.
The scheme of the phased laying of rubber tiles on the ground gives a visual representation of the sequence of work
First you need to remove the top layer of soil, clear it of weeds, and compact it well. A layer of crushed stone (80-100 mm thick) is laid on the compacted soil. A layer of cement-sand mixture is poured onto the soil layer (ratio 1/3). The top layer will be the base for the tile flooring.
When laying on the ground, it is advisable to install a curb, it will give strength to the structure, and the path with the curb looks more aesthetically pleasing.
The curb will make the walkway more durable, and its appearance will only benefit, especially if the same color combination is used for the walkway and curb tiles.
It is not necessary to make a slope when laying on the ground, because the outflow of moisture will occur naturally. When laying on a cement-sand mixture, you need to choose a tile that is connected to each other using bushings, they are usually included in the kit.
The bushings are used for firm joining of the tiles, do not allow them to move during laying and later during the operation of the track.
A garden path made of bright rubber tiles of two colors, laid out on the ground, looks aesthetically pleasing; as it is used, the structure will become stronger, because a mixture of cement and sand under the influence of moisture will become stronger
Option # 2 - laying on a solid base
Laying rubber tiles on a solid base is carried out using rubber tiles for paths of greater thickness - 20 mm. The walkway can be placed on wood flooring, concrete screed, or asphalt pavement. For example, cover an asphalt playground with tiles, make a path on a wooden terrace.
The asphalt base must be flat and free from deformations. The surface must be primed. Mix equal proportions of polyurethane glue and acetone and treat the substrate with this homemade primer.
The concrete screed under the base may not be ideal. If there are cracks, depressions, small flaking on the surface, it doesn’t matter. A primer is also used for processing. According to this technology for laying rubber tiles, you need to make small slopes for water drainage (about 2%). The material must be dry and clean. After you have primed the surface, you will need to glue the tiles to it using polyurethane glue.
Apply the adhesive to the base with a roller, you can also use a spatula, press the tiles firmly against it, ensuring its maximum adhesion to the base and to the tiles located nearby. After the glue hardens, the track will be ready for use.
Samples of rubber tiles in various shapes and colors. Choose the option that connects with bushings, it is much more practical. Rubber tiles with a mosaic jigsaw connection are still found on the market, but are produced less and less, because this method of fastening was not very practical
Resiplite is a special type of tile for quickly creating tracks. The tiles are simply laid in the right place, connecting in a special way. The joints are painted with colored paint and the track's appearance is enlivened
Now you have an idea of how to install and how to properly operate rubber tiles. Among other things, this material has good soundproofing and orthopedic properties, and for a garden these are good characteristics - no unnecessary noise and ease of movement.
Rate the article:
(10 votes, average: 4.6 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Rubber tile laying technology
Laying rubber tiles does not require special education or high qualifications of the worker. Installation of a coating made of crushed rubber is a laborious process, but it is within the power of any home craftsman. It is only necessary to prepare materials, tools and carefully study the technology of work.
Rubber tiles are an innovative finishing material with excellent performance and a wide range of applications. The process of installing a crumb rubber coating is quite simple and does not require high qualifications from the performer. Consider the technology of laying a crumb rubber coating when working with various substrates.
The difference between rubber tiles and other coatings: the pros and cons of the material
Compared to traditional paving slabs or paving stones, rubber coating is more practical, safe to use and decorative.
In addition, crumb rubber tiles have a number of additional advantages:
- a variety of textures and colors allows you to lay out surfaces with original patterns and ornaments
- resistance to temperature fluctuations - tiles do not crack in the cold
- ease of transportation and storage - there is no risk that the tiles will break during transportation
- the coating has good adhesion to the sole of the shoe - this property allows the use of rubber tiles for playgrounds, treadmills and gyms
- ease of installation and repair - it is enough to replace the damaged area with a new one
- no puddles form on the rubber base - water flows into the space between the plates and does not linger on the coating
- increases the sound insulation of the floor - especially important when laying indoors
- resistance to reagents, chemicals and various oils
- mold and mildew do not form on the surface of the rubber coating
- does not require additional maintenance.
Despite the significant advantages, the rubber coating also has a couple of disadvantages that the concrete screed and paving slabs lack:
- Rubber crumb tiles are one of the most expensive ways to decorate the local area. However, such costs are usually justified by the long operating life.
- There are restrictions on the use of polymer tiles. The location of the coating is unacceptable near sources of fire (open fireplace, barbecue, etc.). Firstly, the combustion products of rubber are harmful to human health, and secondly, a fallen coal will burn through the tiles and can provoke the spread of fire.
Scope of application of crumb rubber slabs
Good technical and operational characteristics made it possible to use rubber paving slabs in various fields.
- Arrangement of playgrounds and sports grounds indoors or outdoors. The coating reduces the injury rate of children during active games. The ability to withstand significant mechanical stress has led to the widespread use of rubber tiles in gyms.
- Laying of pedestrian crossings and garden paths.
- Rubber tiles for the yard are used when decorating the local area.
- The rubber tiles for the garage and for the paving of parking lots have become widespread.
- Anti-slip pads for steps and stairs are made of rubber coating.
- Floor arrangement in warehouses and industrial premises.
- Paving the area adjacent to water bodies, artificial ponds, swimming pools and berths.
How to choose a rubber tile
Rubber tiles are selected depending on their purpose and the type of base on which they will be installed. The coating is available in different dimensions and configurations.
Basic rules for choosing the thickness of the coating material:
- Tiles with a thickness of 10-25 mm are suitable for covering surfaces with a hard base (metal, wood, cement-sand mortar, asphalt).
- Soil and sandy surfaces are covered with rubber material 30-40 mm thick. It is desirable that the tile structure has special bushings and end grooves. Such elements provide a stronger grip.
Recommendations for choosing the size of rubber tiles:
- In exhibition centers, large sales areas, volumetric coverage models are used - 100 * 100 cm, 100 * 50 cm or 50 * 50 cm.
- Rubber tiles for paths, outdoor summer cottages have a size of 50 * 50 cm.
- For arranging children's / sports grounds, technical areas, balconies and terraces, tiles with a size of 35 * 35 cm are suitable.
Rubber Tile Size Selection Chart
Important! Rubber tiles for playgrounds and treadmills must be at least 25-30 mm thick. In addition to high strength, such a coating has shock-absorbing, sound- and vibration-insulating qualities.
Features of mounting a rubber coating
The technology for laying rubber tiles is somewhat different from the installation of traditional flooring. When arranging a coating made of rubber material, it is important to consider some of the nuances:
- Installation of the coating on a solid base is carried out using rubber tile adhesive.
- The technology for mounting slabs on a sandy or soil surface provides for the creation of a depression. Plates are joined end-to-end.
- The rubber cover should have a slight slope (1-2 °) for the outflow of rain and melt water.
- To give the coating strength, integrity and completeness, rubber curb elements must be installed around the perimeter.
- The laying of the rubber cover should be carried out in dry weather - there should be no puddles, snow, etc. on the base. The optimum air temperature for work is from 5 ° C.
- It is advisable that the dry weather lasts after installing the tiles for another two to three days. This time is enough for the adhesive composition to polymerize and for reliable adhesion of materials.
- The tiles can be cut if necessary. An electric jigsaw, a hacksaw, or an ordinary knife (well sharpened) is suitable for this.
- The tiles can be laid out in different ways: herringbone, straight or offset paving stones.
- When creating an unusual ornament from multi-colored tiles, you must first create a sketch - lay out the tiles in the selected order, without fastening the elements of the composition.
Technology for laying rubber tiles on a solid base
You can lay a rubber track or pad on asphalt, concrete, or over wood flooring.
Tools and materials
To complete the work you will need:
- rubber plates 20 mm thick
- rubber curbs
- sharp knife
- glue for rubber surfaces (it is better to choose an adhesive based on polyurethane - this is the substance that is used when pressing crumb rubber into plates)
- container for glue
- vacuum cleaner or broom
- ruler and building level
- chalk for marking
- notched trowel
- foam sponge and brush
- rubber hammer.
The surface of the base must be flat, without cracks or depressions. The concrete screed must not crumble or flake off. Any defects and irregularities must be removed, the surface must be cleaned of excess debris.
For reliable adhesion of the rubber tile to the base, several rules must be observed:
- air and material temperature - 10-20 ° С
- air humidity - up to 70%
- when laying the flooring near water (the area around the pool, piers, etc.), a double layer of glue must be applied.
Let's take a look at how to lay rubber tiles on asphalt. Algorithm of actions:
- Prime the surface. To do this, you can use impregnation from a mixture of turpentine (acetone) with polyurethane glue in a 1: 1 ratio. The approximate consumption of the mixture is 300 g / m2.
- Leave the base for 1 hour until completely dry.
- Pull the cord along the perimeter of the site or track.
- Apply glue (rubber-bitumen mastic) to the prepared surface. Smooth the layer of adhesive with a trowel or roller.
- If the area to be covered is square, round or rectangular, then the tiles should be laid from the center.
- Spread the material on the asphalt and press firmly against the substrate, leaving a minimum gap between the slabs.
- In order to prevent air from remaining under the tiles, and the coating is not taken by waves, it is necessary to "tap" the surface with a rubber hammer.
- Install a border around the perimeter of the site.
- You can use the site two days after laying.
Advice. If the glue appears on the front side of the tile, then it must be immediately removed with a sponge. After drying, it will be difficult to do this and stains will remain on the surface.
Laying rubber coating on the ground
Preparation of the base
Rubber tiles for summer cottages often have to be laid on the ground. In this case, a tile of greater thickness (30-80 mm) is used and a more thorough preparation of the base is carried out - a "three-layer" pillow is created.
- To clear the area from weeds.
- Remove the top layer of soil (the depth of the "pit" is about 140-210 mm).
- Tamp the area well.
- Put fine crushed stone on top of the soil. The height of the pillow is 50-100 mm.The thickness of the crushed stone layer depends on the purpose of the coating: for paths - 70 mm is enough, for a sports / playground - 100 mm, and for placing a car - at least 200 mm.
- The second layer is a cement-sand pad, thickness up to 70 mm. Crushed stone can be covered with sand alone, but the addition of cement will give strength to the coating.
- Level the surface and start laying the rubber covering - tiles.
When laying tiles on the ground, you must adhere to some rules:
- Curbs are required.
- The slope for the outflow of water can be omitted - moisture seeps through the rubber tiles and the soil in a natural way.
- If the installation of the coating is not carried out on a cement-sand mixture, then it is necessary to choose a tile with special spikes (bushings). Elements of such a coating are fastened according to the "groove-thorn" system.
- If a free space is formed between the whole slabs and the curbs, then it must be laid with pieces of the material used.
- Every three rows, it is necessary to check the joining of the elements and the correct laying.
- The finished masonry must be tamped and sprinkled with plenty of sand. During the sweeping process, the sand will fill in small cracks and joints.
Laying rubber tiles: video
Caring for rubber tiles
The tile is resistant to adverse weather conditions and temperature fluctuations, so there is no special advice on the operation and maintenance of the rubber coating. Due to its properties, the tiles are insured against the formation of mold, fungi and damage to the coating by rodents.
If the surface is dirty, it is enough to rinse it under medium pressure of water from a hose. Stubborn stains and stubborn dirt can be rubbed with a brush and soapy water.
Icing on the surface must be carefully chipped off with an ice pick and removed with a stiff brush or a shovel. Use a broom or plastic flat shovel to remove snow from the rubber cover. If the area of the territory is very large, you can use a snowblower.
Installation of rubber tiles is an interesting, practical and non-standard solution for the arrangement of the local area. The laying process does not take much time and even non-professional builders can do it.
Competent laying of rubber tiles on a concrete base
The modern market offers many different building and finishing materials. Rubber paving slabs are widely used, which are distinguished by their special strength, reliability and durability.
It is used to equip:
- Pool area
- Arrangement of sidewalks and garden paths
- Sports grounds
- As flooring.
Laying such a product on a concrete base should be carried out strictly in compliance with a special technology. When carrying out installation, you must first clean the concrete surface from dust and debris. For a more thorough cleaning of the surface, it is best to use a broom and vacuum cleaner. Using a spatula, carefully distribute the adhesive composition over the entire surface to be equipped, alternately in different zones. You need to start laying the tiles starting from the very center of the work surface. To do this, lay the prepared 20 mm thick tiles and press them firmly to the base.
Subsequent tiles should be laid out with a small gap. If glue gets on the front side, it must be removed immediately.
Leave the finished surface to dry for 2 days. Throughout this time, the site cannot be used. When installing the tiles, it is imperative to ensure that the accumulated air does not remain under the base of the tiles. You can eliminate the air under the tiles by pressing on the surface of the rubber product.
As you can see, it will not be difficult to put rubber tiles with your own hands. However, for long-term use of such a surface, proper care is necessary. First of all, it is recommended to immediately clean the coating from fallen leaves, sand and other contaminants.
You can clean it with a construction vacuum cleaner or a broom. If there are stains, they can be removed with a soft bristled brush and water. In winter, snow can be cleared with a wooden or plastic shovel. When using a metal shovel, there is a risk of damaging the deck surface.
So, these are all the main features of installation work. Additionally, we invite you to watch a thematic video in which you will learn about other subtleties of this work.
The process of laying rubber tiles in an accessible form - video
Video of laying rubber tiles, installation instructions