Hydroponics at home
This method of growing plants at home is not very common in our country. Mostly it is used by flower growers - experimenters and "advanced" flower collectors. Such installations did not become popular due to the lack of aesthetics of external data and the complexity of the device. Hydroponics is more commonly used in industrial plant growing. And ordinary flower lovers use potting mixes with various components. But is everything really that difficult? How to use hydroponics at home?
Hydroponics is a method in which you can grow plants without the use of soil, using only a special water-based nutrient solution. Instead of ordinary soil, they take coconut substrate, perlite or small expanded clay - they are most suitable for indoor plants. Such substrates have good water and air permeability, do not react with a special aqueous solution. Less commonly, polyethylene, quartz, granite or glass in granules are used.
Let's try to figure out, without complicated technical formulations, how to use hydroponics at home and how to make this device yourself.
To build a "hydroponic device" you will need two containers, for example, two flower pots, of different sizes. The smaller pot is intended directly for planting the plant. In this pot, you need to make a large number of small holes, you can use a thin nail heated on fire. We fill this flower container with the prepared substrate and plant the plant in it.
A larger container should be made of a dense material that does not allow water and light to pass through. In a larger pot, you need to pour a special aqueous solution with the addition of hydroponic fertilizers or growth accelerators. This liquid will provide the necessary nutrition to the roots. These supplements are sold in a large selection at all grow shops.
A smaller container should be placed in a larger one. It is very important that the roots of the plant are not completely immersed in the solution, but only two thirds of it (approximately 2 centimeters). You will need to constantly monitor the level of the solution. The root of the plant should not dry out. There should be a distance of approximately 5 centimeters between the bottoms of the two containers.
In principle, this is where the creation of a hydroponic device ends. In general, there is nothing difficult in this. Anyone who has decided to try this method of growing plants at home can safely get down to business.
Hydroponics is great for growing any kind of plant: vegetables, berries, greenery, and indoor flowers. With hydroponics in an ordinary room, you can get a rich harvest of radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, strawberries and aromatic mint. When growing indoor plants, especially careful care will be needed only for those whose root system is easily rotting.
Assembling hydroponics at home: how to do it yourself?
Hydroponics is a technology for growing plants in a mineral solution outside the soil. Industrial plants with a high degree of automation and control are produced.
They are expensive and not everyone can afford one. But hydroponics at home is also possible.
What is hydroponics used for?
Hydroponic method of growing plants used in small areas in a greenhouse, a private backyard or apartment... The essence of the technology lies in the fact that valuable elements are supplied to the root system in a liquid medium in a metered amount. The support for the roots is created in a special substrate. Like any indoor growing method, hydroponics has advantages and disadvantages.
The onion hydroponic plant allows:
- significantly save usable area and grow plants in closed conditions in several tiers
- grow vegetables in a clean environment, without the use of soil or any substance polluting the premises
- get a crop of excellent quality in the shortest possible time with minimal labor costs
- fully automate the process of supplying carbon dioxide to the root system, the duration of daylight hours in the greenhouse, and temperature indicators.
Hydroponically grown vegetables, sustainable and safe, do not contain insecticides and other poisonous substances.
The disadvantages of growing cultivated plants in a nutrient solution include financial costs for a special automated installation.
Hydroponic plant for growing greenery
Hydroponic plants are for sale. They are, depending on the predestination:
- for deep-sea landings - assumes the presence of a tank and a pump for water circulation. All the roots of the seedlings in it are immersed in a life-giving composition
- wick - the most simple in design and easy to use. The life-giving liquid is supplied by the capillary method, slowly absorbing into the substrate. Mainly used for ornamental plants
- with a nutritious layer - most applicable for the cultivation of greens and salads. The circulation of the nutrient composition allows it to be enriched with oxygen, which has a beneficial effect on their growth.
Knowing this and having decided on the plants that you are going to grow, it seems that it will not be difficult to choose the installation. What should you do next?
An approximate scheme of subsequent actions would be as follows:
- we assemble the system - it is not difficult to do this, because the kit of each installation necessarily includes instructions for assembly and operation
- fill the tank with settled water up to the mark indicated on it
- all such units are necessarily equipped with a set of nutrient fertilizers necessary for the growth of crops, poured for convenience in portioned containers. One of them should be poured into a tank of water. As soon as the mixture loses its properties, it will need to be changed. This will be indicated by the device indicator
- we fill the temporary flowerpots with a special filler, it is also supplied with the installation, we sow seeds into it and close them with lids, which we do not remove until germination. When sprouts appear, temporary pots should be removed
- after that, the seedlings will grow and develop for two weeks. Next, the nutrient solution must be replaced with a new one.
Using such a unit is easy and enjoyable. It is he who allows you to get a harvest of greens quickly and without much worries.
Why hydroponics at home is good: pros and cons
Have you ever heard of hydroponics? If not, then we will try to tell you this as easily as possible. By the way, thanks to the hydroponics method, you can even create your own business, which can give an additional, and sometimes a significant plus to your family budget. However, let's take it in order.
So, hydroponics is a method in which plants are grown without soil, and the watering of the root system is carried out either by constant drip, or a humid air environment is created.
This method is ideal for dry areas, as it allows you to maximize water savings and harvest rich crops. Accordingly, this option is also suitable for us. Why hydroponics at home?
It's simple. Hydroponic equipment is relatively small, and as a result, it can even be placed on the balcony of your apartment. Maintenance of such equipment is minimal, especially if you have purchased an automatic hydroponic plant. In addition, today you can buy equipment for hydroponics for as little as $ 200-300. And if you are planning to start a small business, then this is a meager amount.
What is the plus of such installations? She can work without your participation for two weeks. Accordingly, if necessary, you can safely go on a business trip or vacation. You just need to fill the tank with the required hydroponic solution and set the required parameters, and the plants will grow without your participation.
Another positive point is the protection of plants from the effects of various pests and fungi, since the plant does not come into contact with the soil.
Don't worry about the taste of vegetables, berries, herbs and fruits grown using hydroponics. The main thing is to let them ripen and not pick them green, then the excellent taste and quality of the product is ensured.
Of the minuses, perhaps only a small area for planting plant seeds can be distinguished. Although for some it will even be a plus, since such a mini-garden will not require a lot of time. This is especially important if you are trying to combine your main job with a hydroponics business.
In the future, if you like it and things go well, it will be possible to expand "production" by purchasing additional equipment for hydroponics, and to increase the volume of planting areas.
By the way, even if things do not go well or you suddenly realize that this is not yours, the acquired equipment will allow you to please yourself and your loved ones all year round with fresh and tasty vegetables and herbs grown by your own hands.
What you need to grow
To organize the process of growing onions on a feather in the limited conditions of an apartment you need a minimum amount of consumables.
Bulbs from the fall harvest are suitable for best results. To stimulate growth, stage-by-stage preparation of bulbs is carried out.:
- Settling in a warm room for 3-5 days.
- Manual cleaning from the top layer of dry husks.
- Sparging. To do this, the prepared bulbs are placed in a container with water and lowered into a compressor unit for 10-12 hours. The temperature of the water in which the bulbs are placed for bubbling is about + 38 ° C.
- Pricking the upper part of the bulb with a thin long needle for intensive oxygen supply to the sprout.
- Disembarkation in specially equipped containers.
Preparing a container for growing at home
For growing onions on a feather using the hydroponic method choose plastic containers with a depth of 20 cm... When growing onions in an aqueous solution, there is a risk of stagnant water and rotting of the root system. To prevent such a situation, the containers are thoroughly washed with 72% laundry soap and rinsed with running water. Then the box is treated with an intense pink solution of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate) and dried.
Fertilizers for hydroponic tomatoes
Fertilizers for hydroponically grown tomatoes vary. They are often used in combination. The most common supplements are:
- potassium nitrate
- potassium nitrate
- ammonium nitrate
- potassium chloride
- superphosphate, etc.
The need of plants for nutrition with various useful elements will change as they grow, each phase will need a certain feeding and amount of fertilizers.
To properly grow tomatoes and other plants, many circumstances must be considered, from temperature regulation and watering to proper lighting. Plant nutrition is also important. Hydroponics is one of the methods of growing tomatoes, and you can achieve high plant yields. But you need to know many of the nuances of this technique.
You can also watch a video showing how tomatoes grew hydroponically.